January 10, 2015

Salatiga Trip



I have been procrastinating in updating my blog for the past months. I just couldn't have the mood I need to write and think of words. Haha.. Or in short, not only procrastinating... I was also lazy! That's it! 

This year entered greatly for me. I welcomed 2015 with my sisters in Christ. I travelled for 16hrs using 3 modes of transportation. Train-Bus-Car. I went to Salatiga, passing through Jogjakarta and Solo. This was my first long distance solo trip in almost 3 years in Jakarta. I decided to take this journey in order for me to unwind, reflect and contemplate on things that happened to me in the past year. I have also conquered I guess one of my fear and stepped out of one of my comfort zones through this travelling alone with limited Bahasa Indonesia. It was a fulfilling trip. Not only that I get to see different places in Jakarta but also, I was able to meet people on this trip. 

I was able to practise speaking my very limited Bahasa Indonesia with my seatmate on my train trip to Jogja. He was a man who accompanied his parents in going back to Semarang. I get to connect with her immediately in facebook. He has one son. It was so funny that he thought I was only 18 yrs old. However, asked me if I am married already or if I have a boyfriend in Jakarta. I tried my best to understand him as well. 

I arrive in Jogja around 5 pm and took a bus going to Solo. My friend from Davao, ate Liezle who is a missionary in Salatiga met me in one of the malls. The bus trip was an adventure. It was splendid!! I took a very ordinary bus and had gotten to observe and witness ordinary Javanese. I experienced their politeness first hand. One guy helped me and told the bus driver to pull over when I reached my destination. 

I arrived in Salatiga at 12 midnight and stayed in a missionary's house. Ate Liezle's friend, ate Novee, a missionary and a Filipina too, was house sitting. So I got to enjoy free accommodation. I got to meet also a Chilean missionary: Alejandra. She works with Wycliffe Bible Translation. I celebrated and welcomed 2015 with them. We get to pray for our families and thanked GOD for the year that passed and the days that will be unfolding. I enjoyed a lot with my short time in Salatiga to the extent that I wished that I don't want to go back to Jakarta. Hehe... 

Salatiga is a very serene place. I love its weather and pace. Refreshing place and low cost of living. Totally opposite from Jakarta. I get to meet 2 Javanese couple too. The guy drove is through Salatiga and Jogja's tourist spots.

I plan to come back in Salatiga again. And the next time I visit, I plan to stay a little longer and explore more of her beauty.











No comments:

Post a Comment